Born: Pittsburg, PA, Hometown: Lima, OH
Currently resides in Raleigh, NC
Successful Pharmaceutical Entrepreneur
Kids: Jack (18), Monica (16)
Current cars: ’10 Jaguar XKR, ’06 Porsche Cayman S, ’68 Stallone Corvette, ’67 Camaro
Race cars: Porsche 911 GT3 R, Lotus Evora, (2) 2011 Lotus Exiges, ’09 Porsche GT3 Cup, ’99 Spec Miata
Driven to Compete:
- District 12 AMA 125cc Motocross Champion
- Ski instructor, slalom racer and snowboarder
- Ohio State Intramural Golf Champion, scratch golfer
On the track since 2011:
- Third place championship, Ariel Atom series, Spec Race Atom, 2011
- Multiple National Wins in STU Lotus is 2012
- Hold track records at: VIR, Sebring, Road Atlanta, PBIR and Barber Motorsports
- Won Sunoco Hard Charger award (22nd to 6th) at 2012 SCCA National Championships at Road America
- 2012 SCCA NC Performance Driver of the Year
- 2012 SCCA National Rookie of the Year
- 2013 Pirelli World Challenge Rookie of the Year
Jim started road racing in 2011 by attending Skip Barber’s three-day racing school. From there, he finished third in the Spec Atom Series at VIR, with coaching by Peter Krause and Don Knowles. He also raced Spec Miatas in 2011 before buying a Lotus Exige for STU SCCA racing, which he promptly totaled at VIR.
Another Lotus would follow, written off at Road America, but not before moving up grids and finishing orders along the way.
He hit his stride in 2012 with another Lotus Exige and Tom Long as his coach, and set track records at VIR, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Barber and PBIR.
In 2013, Taggart made his pro racing debut in Pirelli World Challenge with his own team, Taggart Autosport, finishing a season best sixth at Detroit, fielding competitive cars and earning the 2013 Rookie of the Year awar